Table of Contents
Foreword by Peter Edelman, Georgetown University Law Center.
Preface: Why We Believe in Organizing and Building Power.
Introduction: The Power of Participation.
The Story of Community Voices Heard.
PART ONE: BUILDING COMMUNITY POWER.
1. Taking It On: Starting to Build Power.
2. Powering Up.
PART TWO: BUILDING A BASE FOR POWER.
3. Recruiting Constituents for Collective Action.
4. Involving Members in Building Their Own Organization.
5. Developing Leaders from All Walks of Life.
6. Uploading Technology.
PART THREE: DEVELOPING AND RUNNING CAMPAIGNS.
7. Identifying the Right Issue.
8. Researching the Politics of an Issue.
9. Developing a Winning Strategy.
10. Planning a Comprehensive Campaign.
11. Implementing an Effective Campaign.
12. Running Kick-A** Actions!
13. Evaluating a Campaign from Beginning to End.
PART FOUR: BUILDING A MOVEMENT.
14. Forging Partnerships for Power.
15. Moving from Self-Interest to Social Change.
Conclusion: Putting Your Principles into Practice.
RESOURCES: SUPPORTING THE WORK OF ORGANIZING.
A. Organizing Lingo.
B. Raising Money for Organizing.
C. Power in the Voting Booth: Electoral Organizing.
D. Training Tips.
E. Approaches to Addressing Community Problems.
F. Creating a Legal Community Power-Building Organization.
G. For More Information.
H. The Phases and Steps of a Campaign: An Annotated Case Example.